The Congregational Society at Hanover was formed by an act of the Massachusetts General Court in 1727, and met in the homes of members until its first meetinghouse was built the following year. Notable founding members included Joseph Stockbridge and Elijah Cushing. The first minister, Rev. Benjamin Bass, also formed the town's earliest public library.
Over the past three centuries, the church has constructed three further buildings to accommodate the changing needs of its membership. It has sponsored the local Boy Scout troop, contributed funds to both home and foreign missions, and formed a Social Action Committee to increase community outreach. One of the congregation's original silver communion cups was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston in 1911.
For a very detailed history of First Congregational Church of Hanover, see the church's website.
The records in this first volume include the original covenant, early church meeting minutes, and lists of births, deaths, and marriages.