Brockton, Mass. First Parish Congregational Church
The area that now comprises the city of Brockton was originally the northern precinct within the town of Bridgewater, which was incorporated in 1656. After several divisions within the town, the North Precinct was formally incorporated in 1738, and the Fourth Church in Bridgewater was founded within it in 1740. When the area became the separate town of North Bridgewater in 1823, the land and the church were both renamed to be the First Parish in North Bridgewater. The town changed its name to Brockton in 1874, and the church again changed its name accordingly. In 1980, First Parish Congregational Church merged with the South, Porter, and Waldo Congregational churches in Brockton to become Christ Congregational Church, UCC.
The records contained in the two volumes that have been digitized are from the early years of the church, and include information about membership, the governance of the church, and the administration of the parish in which it was located.
For additional information please see the finding aid.
This volume contains the records of the church, including its covenant, baptisms, membership records, admissions, dates on which the communion sacrament was given, disciplinary matters, and marriages.
This volume begins with the petition to the General Court that resulted in the formation of the North Precinct in Bridgewater. It also contains administrative records for the parish, including meeting minutes; notifications of tax deadlines; discussions of meetinghouse maintenance and improvements; the process of calling their first minister, Rev. John Porter; financial records; and the transition from Bridgewater to North Bridgewater.
Special ThanksNational Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor.
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this resource do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.