General Conference of the German Evangelical Congregational Churches of the United States. Papers, 1883-1971.
The General Conference of the German Evangelical Congregational Churches of the United States of America was founded in Crete, Nebraska in 1883, with the goal of improving communication and collaboration among German churches across the American west. The Conference filed papers of incorporation in Chicago, Illinois in 1910. The association officially changed its name to the General Conference of Congregational Churches of America in 1949. In 1950 the General Conference relocated to Yankton, South Dakota. Membership included Congregational Churches in the states of California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. The General Conference sponsored missionaries to Brazil and Argentina, the School of Theology at Yankton College, and the Pioneer Press. The General Conference was dissolved in 1964, and their papers were donated to the Congregational Library in 1971.
Scope of Collection
This collection includes the incorporation records, minutes, correspondence, and some publications of the General Conference. The Nebraska State Historical Society has some items of this collection available on microfilm (see http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/germancca.htm). The Congregational Library also has The Christian Messenger, the Conference's official newspaper, in its holdings. Many of the early records and correspondence in this collection are in German.
Congregations of the German Evangelical Synod of North America and related groups by Richard H. Taylor 9.3.272
The origin of the German Evangelical Synod of North America by Carl Edward Schneider 18.104.22.168
No changes to arrangement made with addition of 2014 accrual added to Box 2.
|Incorporation Records and associated correspondence||1910-1955||B1|
|Minutes, Board of Trustees||1952-1964||B1|
|General Conference records (German)||1932-1939||B1|
|General Conference records (English and German)||1940-1949||B1|
|General Conference records (English and German)||1950-1955||B1|
|General Conference records||1956-1959||B1|
|General Conference records||1960-1965||B1|
|German Conference scrapbook||1891-1921||B2|
|Minutes book (German)||1883-1902||B2|
|Minutes book (German)||1904-1930||B2|
|Minutes book (German and English)||1932-1964||B2|
|"Gesangburh mit Noten" (German hymnal)||1939||B2|
|"Der Roftliche Schak" (German hymnal)||1950||B2|
|"The Pioneer Hymnal"||1952||B2|
|Correspondence (English and German)||1904-1939||B3|
|Correspondence (English and German)||1944-1947||B3|
|Correspondence (English and German)||1951-1958||B3|
|Missions Board papers||1953-1964||B3|
|Missions Board correspondence||1955-1964||B3|
|Board of Publications/Pioneer Press papers||1959-1966||B3|
|Board of Publications/Pioneer Press correspondence||1961-1967||B3|