Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, MA, was formed by members of First Church in Marblehead who left the church after a protracted conflict over the newly called pastor. Forty-nine separating members met in March 1858 and declared their intention to form their own church. The church was officially formed in September 1858. Plans for a church building were conceived of on 1858 and the building was dedicated in 1860. Third Church members were displaced when their building burned down in 1877, and the church's membership rejoined with First Church that same year.
These records contain materials related to the day-to-day administration of the church. These materials include meeting minutes, lists of incomes and expenditures, information about building and furnishing the meetinghouse, orders of worship, and bylaws. Of particular note is a to-scale drawing of the proposed new meeting house drawn by Glover Broughton, church clerk. This can be found on page 28 of the volume.