Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, MA, was formed by members of First Church in Marblehead who left the church after a protracted conflict over the newly called pastor. Forty-nine separating members met in March 1858 and declared their intention to form their own church. The church was officially formed in September 1858. Plans for a church building were conceived of on 1858 and the building was dedicated in 1860. Third Church members were displaced when their building burned down in 1877, and the church's membership rejoined with First Church that same year.
Volume 2 contains materials relating to the departure of members from First Church and the formation of Third Church. These materials include notice of withdrawal, membership lists, meeting notes, and records relating to the Council of the Vicinage called in order to convene the new society and church. Dates for meeting minutes in this volume overlap but do not duplicate those in Volume 3.