Third Congregational Church of Marblehead, MA, was formed by members of First Church in Marblehead who left the church after a protracted conflict over the newly called pastor. Forty-nine separating members met in March 1858 and declared their intention to form their own church. The church was officially formed in September 1858. Plans for a church building were conceived of on 1858 and the building was dedicated in 1860. Third Church members were displaced when their building burned down in 1877, and the church's membership rejoined with First Church that same year.
This volume contains a brief historical sketch of First, Second, and Third Churches in Marblehead, as well as a copy of Third Church's confession of faith, covenant, standing rules, ecclesiastical principles, and rules. Also contained in this record book is a list of members, pastors, and officers of the church. Of particular note are the "Forms of Admission" and "Ordinance of Baptism" which spell out the liturgy associated with baptizing and accepting new members.