The Church at South Farms, Litchfield, Connecticut was gathered in 1768, a year after the South Farms parish of Litchfield was organized and the church society formed. They called their first pastor, George Beckwith, and ordained him in 1772. Several pastors followed Beckwith at the church, among them Amos Chase, Amos Pettengill, Ralph S. Compton, and David L. Parmelee, a native son of Litchfield. In 1859 South Farms of Litchfield became the town of Morris and the church became known as Morris Congregational Church.
George Beckwith graduated from Yale in 1766. He was called and ordained by the South Farms church in 1772. He served the church for 10 years before being removed from his position as pastor at the recommendation of an ecclesiastical council.
A partial document penned by John Marsh, Pastor at Wethersfield and elected scribe of the ecclesiastical council held in January of 1781, affirming the dissolution of the relationship between the Church at South Farms and their Pastor Rev. George Beckwith.