When the western part of Haverhill became too populous for one church in 1734, the West Parish was established by a petition to the General Court of Massachusetts. Over the next year, the residents of the new parish built a new meetinghouse that was dedicated on Oct. 22, 1735. The church was briefly Presbyterian later in the 18th century, but returned to Congregationalism after the dismissal of their minister. Due to financial troubles, they turned over administration of the parish to the Universalist church in 1829, but later made a legal settlement that allowed the Congregationalists to resume using the name "The West Parish".
This book contains the planning and financial records relating to the construction of the church's second meetinghouse, as well as the annual renewal of Rev. Cross's contract. The end of the volume contains the will of David Webster, which includes provisions for a trust to pay the church's ministerial salary.