Church History

The First Church of Christ in Bradford was formed in 1682, just ten years after the town (previously called Merrimack for its location along the river) officially changed its name. It was originally a part of Rowley until it petitioned the General Court for separation in 1668, called its first minister, Rev. Zechariah Symmes of Charlestown, and built the first meetinghouse. The East Parish was formed in 1726, and was later incorporated as the town of Groveland in 1850.

When Bradford hosted the General Association meeting in 1810, a group of students and clergy set forth a proposal that quickly gave rise to the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM). Two young women of the congregation - Ann Judson and Harriet Newell - were among the first missionaries sent out by the American Board, and many other missionary groups and training programs emerged in the area.

The town was annexed by the city of Haverhill in 1897, but First Church of Christ in Bradford remains separate from First Congregational Church in Haverhill. To learn more about First Church in Bradford today, visit their website.

Digital Materials

Parish records 1787-1866


This volume contains both parish financial records and administrative records, as well as correspondence relating to the matters discussed at meetings of church committees. There is also a section toward the end listing members for the early 19th century.