Kenosha, Wisconsin. First Congregational Church records, 1862-2008.
First Church was established in 1838 when the area was called Pike Creek until 1850 when Kenosha superseded. The congregation built their first meeting house in 1844, which served until it was replace in 1875. In 1913, church and society reorganized and became incorporated. During the debates in the 1950s regarding the Evangelical & Reformed and Congregational Christian denominational merger, First Church opposed the merger and remained unaffiliated until they joined the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches in 1963. The decision was a contentious one and former members established the Plymouth Congregational Church. While the church counted 1500 members in the 1950s, the church membership declined and the congregation chose to disband in 2013. The building was purchased by an independent CrossWay group, which formed the Christ the King Church. Several of the original First Church members were welcomed into the new church.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of ledgers that have meeting minutes and vital statistics; membership books and lists; historical sketches; undated photographs. Vital statistics include baptisms, membership, deaths, and occasionally marriages. There are no original records dating to the earliest years of the church, however a member transcribed baptisms back to 1840 in the mid-20th century; it is not a complete list, however it's the most complete list available.
Kenosha, WI : First Congregational Church. (17.11.1 K41.28 FIRCC)
Materials are arranged topically.
|Membership lists and baptism list||1954-1955||B2/F1|
|Baptism records, transcribed 1840-1892, 1913-1959, 1977-1979||1954||B2/F2|
|Membership directories||1954, 1960s||B2/F3|
|Membership directories||1977, 1979, 1983, 1984||B2/F4|
|Historical sketches||1938-1988 (gaps)||B2/F5|