Haverhill, Massachusetts. West Parish Congregational Church records, 1734-1900.
When the western part of Haverhill became too populous for one church in 1734, the West Parish was established by a petition to the General Court of Massachusetts. Over the next year, the residents of the new parish built a new meetinghouse that was dedicated on Oct. 22, 1735. The church was briefly Presbyterian later in the 18th century, but returned to Congregationalism after the dismissal of their minister. Due to financial troubles, they turned over administration of the parish to the Universalist church in 1829, but later made a legal settlement that allowed the Congregationalists to resume using the name "The West Parish."
West Church was incorporated in 1921, and is now a member of the Conservative Congregational Christian Conferamce. To find out more about West Church in Haverhill today, visit the church's website
Scope of Collection
This collection contains the early records of West Parish Church in Haverhill, Massachusetts. Records include founding documents, membership records, vital statistics, administrative and financial records, and meeting minutes. Records of particular note are those pertaining to ministerial salary, the last will and testament of David Webster, and records mentioning the "Minister's Mutiny" in Bradford.
Haverhill, MA : West Congregational Church. 17.11.1 H29.45 WESCC
The history of Haverill, Massachusetts T H29.52M
Infant baptism from heaven: two discourses delivered at Haverhill West-Parish, April 28th, 1765. : with an appendix, obviating some objects offered against the truths asserted; and some other remarks upon the late remarkable performance of Mr. Hezekiah Smith. 15.4 5846 PARJ-PAZ
Original items contained in seven volumes and one loose item. Digital duplicates retain the original order of each volume. Volumes are arranged here in chronological order according to the first date in their date range.
|"Articles of Agreement"||1734||Online Interface|
|This document details the plans and budget for the construction of the first meetinghouse in the West Parish.|
|West Parish records||1734 - 1802||Online Interface|
|This volume contains the earliest administrative and financial records of the church, including the ordination of Samuel Bacheller, pew sales, the election of officers, and parish expenses.|
|Church records||1735-1761||Online Interface|
|This volume primarily contains membership records, including baptisms, marriages, admissions, dismissions, and narrative accounts of several prominent families. It also contains the covenant signed by the founding members.|
|Church records||1762-1826||Online Interface|
|The membership records continue in this volume. It also contains transcribed correspondence, records of several disciplinary cases, and information about the ministers who served during these years.|
|Church records||1826-1838||Online Interface|
|This volume contains interspersed administrative, financial, and membership records continuing from the previous books.|
|Church records||1870-1880||Online Interface|
|This volume contains interspersed administrative, financial, and membership records continuing from the previous books. It also includes several printed materials that have been sewn or glued into the book adjacent to the related records.|
|Treasurer's book||1815-1900||Online Interface|
|The treasurer's ledger contains itemized records of the church's income and expenses, including taxes, pew fees, materials and labor for maintenance of the meetinghouse, and the minister's salary. There are regular audits of the church's accounts by the treasurers and committee members.|
|New building book||1828-1852||Online Interface|
|This book contains the planning and financial records relating to the construction of the church's second meetinghouse, as well as the annual renewal of Rev. Cross's contract. The end of the volume contains the will of David Webster, which includes provisions for a trust to pay the church's ministerial salary.|