Grafton, Massachusetts. Congregational Church records, 1731-1828.
The Congregational Church of Grafton traces its roots back to a church established in 1671 in what was then known as Hassanamisco Plantation (now Hassanamesit Reservation). This church's membership consisted entirely of Hassanamisco Native Americans and the church thrived for many years until it was decimated in King Phillip's War. After the war, 40 European settlers were given permission to purchase the land which comprised Hassanamisco Plantation from the few remaining natives. There they established the Congregational Church of Grafton.
The church was founded in 1731, followed four years later by the town of Grafton. In 1832 the church voted to become Evangelical Congregational Church, and in 2011 another vote was taken to become the Congregational Church of Grafton.
Scope of Collection
This collection contains early records pertaining to the church. Included are records of church membership, ecclesiastical councils, church meetings, vital statistics, baptisms, marriages, sermons, ordinations, and confessions.
The records found in this book detail the proceedings of both church meetings and ecclesiastical councils. Also included are lists of baptisms, marriages, and membership admissions and dismissions. Records also deal with admonitions and confessions. The front of the book contains records of the founding covenant and a brief historical sketch.
These records document church meeting minutes, membership admissions and dismissions, baptisms, marriages, and deaths. Also included are records of ordinations, sermons, and dates on which communion was given.