Chicago, Illinois. Fourth Congregational Church. Records, 1895-1992

Collection Information

Chicago, IL : Fourth Congregational Church records


Cortland Street Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.)
Grace Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.)
Maplewood Church (Chicago, Ill.)
Fourth Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.)
National Association of Congregational Christian Churches




1.2 linear feet. 1 record box and 1 manuscript box

Collection ID #:

RG 5135

Conditions Governing Access:


Copyright: Preferred Citation:

[Identification of item], in the Fourth Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.) records, RG5135. The Congregational Library and Archive, Boston, MA.


Material entirely in English

Processing information:

Collection processed by Sari Mauro, 2011


This collection consists of the records of Fourth Congregational Church, Chicago, organized in 1916. The Collection includes records relating to church governance and function, newsletter and directory publications, and notes and records of auxiliary committees and organizations.

Acquisition Information:

Donated by the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches, May 2011.

Organizational History

Fourth Congregational Church of Chicago (4thCC) traces its origins back to a Congregational Sunday school which started in 1867 and met in a blacksmith shop. From this Sunday school sprang three churches (Grace Church [1867], Cortland Street Church [1888], and Maplewood Church [1892]). These three churches merged in 1916 and took the name Fourth Church. Their building was destroyed by fire on January 27, 1925. A new building was proposed and building began in November of 1925 on Talman Avenue, the site of the old Maplewood church. The church joined the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches in 1962. In 1992, on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Sunday school which started it all, Fourth Congregational Church was thriving with a strong Sunday school, a solid music program, was active in the Midwest Association of Congregational Christian Churches and the National Association Pilgrim Fellowship. As of 2011 the church has 13 active members and one staff person (the senior minister).



Walter A. Briggs 1917-1920  
Carl Stackman 1920-1923  
F. E. Stillwell 1924-1927  
Ernest A Reese 1927-1933  
John Bayne 1934-1940  
Rev. Miles 1940-1941 (interim)
Edgar Bell 1941-1943  
Reuben A. Strauss 1944-1951  
Guy D. Yoakum 1951-1953(?)  
Warren Eugene Cotton 1953(?)-1956  
George Millar 1957-1959  
Edward F. White 1959-1961  
Rev. Pruter 1961-1962 (interim)
Robert Hanna 1962-1965  
Harold Finley 1965-1966 (and other interim periods)
Roger E. Dallwig 1966-1974  
Donald Mullen 1975-1979  
Bruce Goettsche 1979-1980 (interim)
David Henry 1980-1999  
Mark Shelton 1999-approximately 2003  
Dan Wood approximately 2005-current  


Scope of the Collection

The Fourth Congregational Church records document the history of the organization, including finances, youth education and outreach, membership, and church life. Included in the records are correspondence, ledgers, reports, minutes, directories, newsletters and bulletins.



The Fourth Congregational Church records are arranged in three series. The records are in chronological order within the series.

Series I Church Records, 1895-1992
Series II Printed Material & Ephemera, 1916-1975
Series III Ledger book, 1927-1931


Related Material

Material from Fourth Congregational Church's youth outreach in Logan Square can be found at the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches.


Access Terms

Fourth Congregational Church (Chicago, Ill.)

Congregational Churches - Illinois - Chicago

Chicago (Ill.) – Church history


Detailed Description and Container List

Series I: Church Records, 1895-1992

Church Records include records produced by the church and its organizations and committees and document the history and running of the church as a whole. Included are Annual reports, by-laws, committee reports, correspondence, financial records, and organization records.
Box 1
  Folder 1 Anniversary Materials 1967; 1992
  Folder 2 Annual Reports 1966-1967; 1970
  Folder 3 Bible School minutes and notes 1918-1923
  Folder 4 Bradford (Youth) League 1960-1964
  Folder 5 Constitution and Amendments  
  Folder 6 Cornerstone Committee approx. 1925
  Folder 7 Correspondence 1897-1962
  Folder 8 Correspondence 1963-1969
  Folder 9 Correspondence 1970-1975; undated
  Folder 10 Deeds, Mortgages and Contracts 1983-1934; 1969
  Folder 11 Inventories 1912; undated
  Folder 12 Letters of Dismissal 1895-1910
  Folder 13 Pilgrim Fellowship 1941-1952; 1963-1968
  Folder 14 Plat of Survey 1902
  Folder 15 Reports 1915-1949
  Folder 16 Talman Avenue Building 1925; 1928

Series II: Printed Material, 1916-1975

Printed Material contains materials printed by the church intended for wider distribution. Included are booklets, plays, directories, bulletins and the church newsletter "Life and Work". For some time between 1933 and 1937, "Life and Work" was published weekly and served as both the bulletin and newsletter before again becoming a monthly publication.
Box 1
  Folder 17 Bulletins 1919; 1947-1975
  Folder 18 Directories 1924-1955; undated
  Folder 19 Directories 1957-1974
  Folder 20 Ephemera 1915; 1918; 1965; undated
  Folder 21 Cookbook 1925
  Folder 22 "Life and Work" 1916; 1919-1932
  Folder 23 "Life and Work" 1933-1937
  Folder 24 "Life and Work" 1938-1940
  Folder 25 "Life and Work" 1941-1944; 1949-1951
  Folder 26 "Life and Work" 1952-1959
Box 2
  Folder 1 "Life and Work" and other mailings 1961-1971
  Folder 2 Photographs and news clippings 1925; 1956; 1970; undated
  Folder 3 Special Events 1918-1967
  Folder 4 Scripts and Programs 1943; undated

Series III: Ledger book, 1927-1931

The ledger book consists of the records from Fourth Congregational Church's Building Fund.
Box 2 Ledger of the Building Fund 1927-1931


Become a Member