Congregational Christian Historical Society. Records, 1948,1953-2008
History and Structure
Frederick L. Fagley, who in 1922 had become the secretary of the Commission on Evangelism and Devotional Life and Associate Secretary of the National Council of Congregational Christian Churches, and who in 1949 had retired as Associate Minister and Secretary of the General Council, was the Society's first Executive Secretary. The first permanent office of the Society was at denominational headquarters in New York City. After Fagley's death in 1959, the office was moved to 14 Beacon Street ("Congregational House") in Boston and even eventually settled within the Congregational Library at that address.
In 2007-2008, the Historical Society and the American Congregational Association started the process of folding the Society’s activities into the Congregational Library’s. The reasoning behind this was that because all of the work was done by Library staff, that it would be more realistic to not have an artificial divide between the two organizations.
The fourfold purpose of the Society is set forth in its Articles of Organization/Incorporation under the date of March 1, 1978, viz.:
- "To cultivate a deeper interest in the history of the Congregational Christian Churches in all aspects, and to develop a greater awareness of the importance of the Congregational, Christian, and Congregational Christian recorded history as a source of information and inspiration, an as a basis for future action.
- "To encourage and to participate in the creation, preservation and correlation of records, the scholarly use of historical materials and the production of historical works.
- "To promote the observance of anniversaries and other occasions of historical interest, and the preservation of monuments, historical sites an other materials.
- "To work in cooperation with the relevant instrumentalities of the United Church of Christ, of the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches, of the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference, with the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, and with any other organization now or hereafter existing sharing its purposes and objectives."
Scope and Content
|Series 1:||Board of Directors 1953- is in chronological order and includes annual meetings, executive committee meetings and treasurer's reports given during those meetings. There is frequently correspondence from administrators included.|
|Sub-Series A: Correspondence|
|Sub-Series B: Committees - Membership - External organizations|
|Series 2:||Activities, Events, Services|
|Essays, Articles, 1948-. Removed to be a separate collection|
|Series 3:||Newsletter and Photographs|